Her and I are going to become great friends!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My first Crit

I will let Wikipedia explain what a crit is as it will be much better than my explanation.

A criterium, or crit, is a bike race held on a short course (usually less than 5 km), often run on closed-off city center streets.



Race length can be determined by a number of laps or total time, in which case the number of remaining laps is calculated as the race progresses. Generally the event's duration (commonly one hour) is shorter than that of a traditional road race — which can last many hours, sometimes over the course of several days or even weeks, as in a Grand Tour. However, the average speed and intensity are appreciably higher. The winner is the first rider to cross the finish line without having been "lapped."
Events often have prizes (called primes, pronounced "preems", and are usually cash) for winning specific intermediate laps (for instance, every 10th lap). A bell is usually rung to announce to the riders that whoever wins the next lap, wins the prime.
Success in road criteriums requires a mix of good technical skills — in particular, the ability to corner smoothly, while "holding your line" on the road, as well as rapidly and sharply — and riding safely with a large group on a short circuit and exceptional "sprint" ability to attack other riders and repeatedly accelerate hard from corners.
Criteriums are relatively easy to organize, do not require a large amount of space, and are good for live spectators as they allow them to see the riders pass by many times. They are the most common type of bicycle racing in the continental United States. They are also gaining popularity as a format for mountain bike events.

This wasn't just my first crit experience ever, it was also the kickoff of the summer tulsa criterium training series. which I was very surprised by the turnout. I had spoken with Justin and Jamie earlier in the week about going and they both seemed game. I pulled into the location where the training was being held earlier, there were only a few racers there at the time. I quickly gave my race license number, signed a waiver, paid 5 bucks and was ready to go. While getting ready (shedding sweat pants, airing up tires, putting on bike shoes and taking in a Gu) I got in a conversation with the guy parked next to me. This guy was built more like me than the gymnast looking guys I have been used to riding with so right of the bat I liked him! I had heard of him before, his name was Chris and a lot of the guys on my team knew him and liked him. He seemed pretty excited about the cycling season and was ready to get this race underway.

To give a little more background into the scenario I was in there happens to be 3 groups or categories of racers in this training events, A,B,C. Earlier that day I had received an email from our Race Director Jeremy (a very knowledgeable successful racer) explaining that if he were us he would sign up for the B group as some people would probably call us sandbaggers. I made the assumption Chris would be in the B group and I was perfectly happy being in C as I had never raced before and my fitness and experience were definitely lacking. As Justin and I pull up to the line I am surrounded by guys that appear to be pretty experienced, There was Chris a few guys from Toms including Seth who has been putting out some pretty good stats as well as some other good guys. Hardly the huffy riding, blue jean wearing, knife carrying group I was hoping to be riding against. If you were at NWA you know what I mean by blue jean wearing knife carrying...

A role call and short explanation of what we were doing and the bell was being rung and we were off! We ended up doing about 11 laps on a .6 mile course and it took me about 4 before I really got the hang of the quick turns and quick accelerations. My heart rate was at the top but I had expected it, I had been working pretty hard and found myself near the front whenever the bell rang, I understood this to be the one lap remaining bell and as we came to the finish of that lap I had found myself pushing pretty hard as well as being up in the top 3 (Seth sitting at 1) but something odd happened, after we crossed the finish line the race continued, I was tired and got passed by quite a few people before I realized the race was not over, and as I checked my bike computer and saw there were at least 10 minutes left I knew why. The second half of the race was miserable, I was by myself with a group behind me and in front and I had no one to work with and draft off of. I was in pain and ready for it to be over, I maintained a pretty good pace by myself but finished very weakly and let someone edge me out by a few feet. Chris ended up winning the whole thing and later told me he would be back in group C next week. I better bring my A game, I think I may suprise a few people!

My advice to you first time Crit racers, warm up well and don't get dropped on a windy day.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. Keep it up.

    I've only done one crit before (Mineral Wells) and I was off the back 4 laps in. Other than that, I did Salt Creek, which was more of a circuit to me than crit. So I'm very excited to get out there and do these to practice cornering, team/race tactics and see what my body is capable of. Pretty exciting stuff last night. Looking forward to next week. I, too, will be in the C's for a while yet. I am a noob.

    I'm sure next week you'll be hanging out on the front driving the pace. See ya then! (or tonight?)

    ReplyDelete